Well for starters, I would like to say hello, and happy New Years to everyone! I do realize it has been a long time since seeing me around these parts, but the latter half of 2012 was less then stellar for me. Needless to say Im here now and ready to make 2013 better by far!
When I first started up with Ipsy (formally known as Myglam) and Birchbox, I had every intention on doing comparison posts. Considering I have been with each company since April 2012, and never did one, my intentions have not come to fruition until now! Better late then never I say...
This month, I received both my Ipsy bag and Birchbox on the same day, and I don't know about anyone else, but it felt like christmas alllll over again!
So starting with my Birchbox, the theme of this months box was all about a new you for the new year. Kind of cliche but great none the less.
I added a picture of the contents, plus what was in packaging that you couldnt see.
What I received was (all wording from the card provided):
- Aerie Shimmer Fragrance- This light-as-air blend of bergamont, peony, and vanilla feels fresh and warm.
- Caudalie Vinexpert Radiance Day Cream SPF 15- A lightweight daily moisturizer with a patented grape-derived compound to reverse skin damage, plus weightless SPF.
- Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner- This UK import features a user-friendly pen applicator and supersmooth formula.
- Number 4 Clarifying Shampoo- Gentle enough for everyday use, this cleanser has a low-suds formula that removes buildup without stripping hair of essential oils.
- Deborah Lippmann The Stripper to go- These sweetly scented nail polish remover mitts make changing lacquer a breeze.
I have only tried the perfume sample so far. It smells better to me in the tube, but does not mesh well with my body chemistry and kind of turns when I wear it, most likely will be passing that on to someone else. I am always excited to receive a moisturizer sample becuase I'm constantly hunting down a better one then the last (but aren't all women ;) ). The Eyeko liner is also exciting becuase I wear liner everyday I wear make up, and if it lives up to the "user-friendly" statement, I will be very pleased. Anything that makes my life easier is welcomed, especially if it might save me some time in the morning getting ready for work. Shampoo is not usually something I like seeing in my box but seeing as how its clarifying shampoo, I might save it until its starts getting warmer, and oil and build up worsens (lovely living in the desert). And finally, the beauty extra, ugh... That is all that comes to mind. It does say that it contains acetone so its got that going for it, but I'm not giving up plain nail grade acetone for these things anytime soon. I understand the concept...but its not something I would buy.
Next, we have the Ipsy Bag. This months theme was "Super Stars" . In with the box, on a card, thay are offering a special deal with each item that was in the bag.
Here is a list of what I got:
- SOHO “Get a Grip” Crease Brush- Long handled, ergonomically conscience fluffy blending crease brush that features natural hair bristles.
- Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer- A classic high-gloss blood red nail polish to compliment any look.
- Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Mini Body Butter- Sparkling, juicy blood orange with notes of red raspberry and spicy sweet Italian mandarin in a creamy body butter.
- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil- Rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, this oil is synonymous with being a beauty multi-tasker.
- Sexy Hair Spray & Play Volumizing Hairspray- humidity resistant, flexible hold hairspray that provides fullness, lift and incredible shine! Perfect for all hair types.
I cant complain at all. This months bag was great! The bag was also cute by the way... First off, I love getting new brushes, and you can never have too many. The last Soho brush I received was one I had purchased a few months before getting one from ipsy (so I passed it on to my bestie) but it was an awesome brush and I still use it quite often. I can not wait to try this one. I am also happy to see red nail polish, I am a fan of red (more so with lip stick but nail polish is just as nice to get). The blood orange body butter smells amazing, and already has a home come tuesday in my desk drawer at work. The argan oil is something completely foreign to me. I have never used anything like it but upon doing a little bit of research, I found it has many uses, one I'm interested to try is as a way to soften lashes run down and britle from mascara. Lastly we have the hair spray. I have thin hair so knowing its good for all hair types is good. This will be going in my car for the "oh crap I was running late and forgot to spray these pesky fly aways..." days. Thanks Ipsy!
So overall, I think if I HAD to choose a favorite item from the two would be the Eyeko Liner. I am always striving to perfect that timeless and precise skinny line across my eye and if this can deliver, its a home run! Hope you enjoyed reading!
ALSO, IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WAYS TO USE THE ARGAN OIL, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW!!!